If you want to provide the best care to your kitty, then you must pick the best cat food for them. Unfortunately, pet parents often find it hard to decipher food labels on pet foods. To make things easier, AAFCO (Federation of Pet Food Manufacturers) has determined some essential nutrients that must be part of your cat’s diet. Let’s take a look at these nutrients!
Cat Nutrition – Essential Nutrients for Cats
· Protein: Cats need proteins to fuel bodily processes. They also use protein as a source of energy and require certain amino acids to build and support muscles.
· Minerals: Minerals promote oxygen transportation and help absorb and use nutrients in the body. Cats require some essential minerals, including iron, magnesium, potassium, sodium, calcium, and chloride.
· Vitamins: Vitamins, such as Vitamin A, D, B1, B2, B3, and B6, are an important part of your cat’s diet. You can consider vitamin supplements for cats. However, make sure you consult a vet first!
· Carbohydrates & Lipids: Carbohydrates and lipids act as the main energy source in the body. They are highly digestible and necessary to keep your kitty fit and active.
· Other Nutrients: Some other healthy nutrients to look for in cat food include Polyphenols, Carotenoid Pigments, Chondroitin, Antioxidants, and Glucosamine.
It’s Good To Know – Specific Protein & Fat Requirements for Cats!
Cats have very specific protein and fat requirements as compared to dogs. According to the AAFCO nutrient profile, an adult cat should consume a minimum of 6.5g/100 kcal protein daily. Wet diets generally have more variable protein content, so you can opt for wet cat food if you are worried about your kitty’s protein intake.
As long as you choose a healthy cat food that is formulated to meet AAFCO guidelines, your kitty will get all the proteins and healthy fats they need to stay hale and hearty. If you are still unsure about which cat food is best for your darling cat, you can use a Pet Food Calculator to compare the nutrient levels of different cat foods.
If you enjoyed reading this article, then check out our website–Dhohoo.com for more pet care tips and healthy food and supplements for cats!